[Ipopt] Algorithm flow calling f(x) and g(x), same decision variables?

Seth Watts seth.e.watts at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 09:35:26 EDT 2012

Hi Martijn -

Using the new_x flag is definitely the correct approach. I have a problem
similar to yours in that evaluating the system state for a given set of
optimization variables is costly, but once this is done, evaluating each of
f, g, grad_f, jac_g is relatively easy.

I include the following as class variables in MyNLP.cpp : my_f, my_g,
my_grad_f, my_jac_g. Then, if new_x is true, I call a function to update my
model and evaluate all of (my_f, my_g, etc.), and then for example the
function eval_f would copy my_f to f. If new_x is false, then the function
just needs to copy what is currently in my_f to f.

In case I wasn't clear above, here is pseudocode of eval_f:

bool MyNLP::eval_f(Index n, const Number* x, bool new_x, Number& obj_value)
{
    if(new_x)
    {
        evaluate(<lots of variables>, my_f, my_g, my_df, my_dg);
    }
    obj_value = my_f;
}

Since these are class variables, they are visible to the class functions,
so you don't need to explicitly create a structure or pass these variables
into the functions. It is a fairly clean implementation.

- Seth

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Martijn Disse <M.W.Disse at student.tudelft.nl