No subject

Mon Nov 12 22:36:48 EST 2012

build system that hopefully works in MinGW. Looks like you can get ACML =
Windows binaries for free (and maybe Intel MKL as part of the C++ Studio =
XE if you=92re a student), but those are typically compiled assuming the =
Intel Fortran compiler - if you don=92t have access to that compiler, =
you need to do some header trickery to handle trailing underscores, I =
can give you some specific details off-list if you want to try that =
route.

-Tony

From: Pedro Tabacof=20
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:00 AM
To: Tony Kelman=20
Cc: ipopt at list.coin-or.org=20
Subject: Re: [Ipopt] Obtaining MA57 dll

Hello,=20

I'm using Ipopt within CasADi for dynamic optimization and from some =
simple tests I can verify that the optimized BLAS is much faster (around =
3-4 times). I'm comparing the netlib MA27 I compiled myself with a =
mysterious MA27 dll file I found on Ipopt trunk [1], which I suppose =
includes some optimized library for Windows.

I tried to generate GoToBLAS and OpenBLAS static libraries here but =
Ipopt actually says they are not valid BLAS libraries when using the =
configure script. The only thing I found suspicious about the process is =
that the static libraries being generated by the BLAS makefiles are =
".lib"  instead of ".a" files, even though I'm doing everything through =
MSYS+MinGW.

Has anyone had success using precompiled BLAS libraries with Ipopt on =
Windows (MinGW)? Unfortunately I have no way of using Linux on my =
project.

Happy holidays,
Pedro

[1] =
https://projects.coin-or.org/OS/browser/trunk/OS/MSVisualStudio/lib/libhs=
l.dll?rev=3D1703

------=_NextPart_000_00C3_01CDE294.D6B20300

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
<DIV>MA27 doesn=92t use BLAS, so the performance difference you are =
seeing there=20
is due to different compilers, and maybe other overhead things like dll =
file=20
size. Who knows what compiler the version you found was using. I=92ll =
guess that=20
it may have been f2c -&gt; Visual Studio, I always assumed f2c =
wouldn=92t give=20
very fast code but apparently that assumption was wrong.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The only non-Netlib BLAS I=92ve ever tried using on Windows was the =
mkl.dll=20
that=92s distributed with Matlab. As I said, optimized Blas =
implementations may=20
not be easy to build on Windows in the way Ipopt requires. If the build =
system /=20
makefiles of those Blas implementations are not building .a libraries in =
MinGW,=20
you should ask on those specific projects=92 mailing lists.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From what I recall ATLAS may have a more native-style =
static-library build=20
system that hopefully works in MinGW. Looks like you can get ACML =
Windows=20
binaries for free (and maybe Intel MKL as part of the C++ Studio XE if =
you=92re a=20
student), but those are typically compiled assuming the Intel Fortran =
compiler -=20
if you don=92t have access to that compiler, you need to do some header =
trickery=20
to handle trailing underscores, I can give you some specific details =
off-list if=20
you want to try that route.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-Tony</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; =
COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: =
none">
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=3Dtabacof at gmail.com=20
href=3D"mailto:tabacof at gmail.com">Pedro Tabacof</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:00 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Dkelman at berkeley.edu=20
href=3D"mailto:kelman at berkeley.edu">Tony Kelman</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Cc:</B> <A title=3Dipopt at list.coin-or.org=20
href=3D"mailto:ipopt at list.coin-or.org">ipopt at list.coin-or.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Ipopt] Obtaining MA57 dll</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; =
COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: =
none">Hello,=20

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm using Ipopt within CasADi for dynamic optimization and from =
some simple=20
tests I can verify that the optimized BLAS is much faster (around 3-4 =
times).=20
I'm comparing the netlib MA27 I compiled myself with a mysterious MA27 =
dll file=20
I found on Ipopt trunk [1], which I suppose includes some optimized =
library for=20
Windows.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I tried to generate GoToBLAS and OpenBLAS static libraries here but =
Ipopt=20
actually says they are not valid BLAS libraries when using the =
<I>configure</I>=20
script. The only thing I found suspicious about the process is that the =
static=20
libraries being generated by the BLAS makefiles are ".lib"&nbsp; instead =
of ".a"=20
files, even though I'm doing everything through MSYS+MinGW.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Has anyone had success using precompiled BLAS libraries with Ipopt =
on=20
Windows (MinGW)? Unfortunately I have no way of using Linux on my =
project.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Happy holidays,<BR>Pedro</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>[1] <A=20
href=3D"https://projects.coin-or.org/OS/browser/trunk/OS/MSVisualStudio/l=
ib/libhsl.dll?rev=3D1703">https://projects.coin-or.org/OS/browser/trunk/O=
S/MSVisualStudio/lib/libhsl.dll?rev=3D1703</A></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C3_01CDE294.D6B20300--