[Ipopt] Posting Ipopt Problems for help

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 8 12:49:17 EST 2012

Which folder did you add to the Matlab path? If you do "make install" then
you should add the "lib" directory to the Matlab path - it will contain both
the ipopt.mexw32 file and an ipopt.m file which contains commented help
text. If you don't do "make install", the ipopt.m file is located one folder
above the "src" directory. You can also access the ipopt.m help file at
https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/browser/trunk/Ipopt/contrib/MatlabInterface/ipopt.m

The print level of ipopt can be modified in the Matlab interface by setting
options.ipopt.print_level to some value between 0 and 12 (default is 5). See
http://www.coin-or.org/Ipopt/documentation/node59.html for a list of other
Ipopt options you can modify in a similar way - a small number of them might
not be implemented with the Matlab interface, but most should be.

Someone contacted me offline recently with a similar issue in the Matlab
interface, where he encountered the "Invalid number" message and observed
non-repeatable results. I believe this may happen if your gradient of
objective function outputs a Matlab sparse vector, the mex file might try to
access data beyond the valid memory addresses in the gradient array. I'll
look at the Matlab interface source code in a bit more detail to figure out
if/how it handles this case and I'll see if I can fix any confusing
behavior. In the meantime, make sure your gradient function outputs a full()
vector.

-Tony