[Ipopt] Question about Jacobian approximation: option finite-difference-values

Atri Dutta atrid at Princeton.EDU
Tue Jul 24 10:44:44 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am using IPOPT with Matlab interface. When I provide exact derivatives for Jacobian and Hessian functions, the program runs fine and solves the problem I am working on. Using exact derivatives for the Jacobian and approximation for the Hessian also work out fine, but I am having trouble when I try to approximate the Jacobian.

IPOPT throws an error "You must provide a function that returns the first derivatives (Jacobian) of the constraints" in spite of providing the option to compute the Jacobian based on finite differences. Not sure if I am missing something here, but your comments will be really helpful.

I am using the following commands:

options.ipopt.jacobian_approximation = 'finite-difference-values';
options.ipopt.hessian_approximation  = 'limited-memory';

funcs.objective         = @objective;
funcs.constraints      = @constraints;
funcs.gradient          = @gradient;

I am providing Matlab functions for objective, constraints and gradient. I tried out giving the Jacobian structure too but it does not help and the same error occurs.

Thanks and Regards,
Atri.

Atri Dutta, Ph.D.
Post-Doctoral Research Associate,