[Ipopt] Start in positive area with optimal solution in negativearea

"Michael Gißler" michael.gissler at gmx.net
Fri Jan 20 09:39:39 EST 2012

Pardon, I tried to keep my request as short as possible this time..

Structural topology optimization is an optimization process based on finite elements models where a fe-solver solves functions values and gradients.

E.g. one could say that a certain weight of the structure is the constraint by minimizing the displacement of a special node of the fe-model by maniplulating the element densitiy which is linked to other mechanical properties such as stiffnesses of the finite elements.

For more information the wikipedia entry is helpfull:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topology_optimization

With "area" I just mean the value of the objective function:

In my special case I try to optimize an fe-model of a mechanism.

The obj. function for this special opt. is the movement of a node.

At the beginning the node moves along the posivite x-axes, the obj. function is to minimize this movement. The clue is, that it is possible to get a result where the the position of this node ends on a negative x-value.

At the moment IPOPT's opt. ends up with a result where the x-axes displacement is nearly zero.

Opt. algorithms like the MMA from Svanberg could handle this.

So my question is: Is it possible in principile? Do I have to set some special values?

Best regards,

Michael

-------- Original-Nachricht --------