[Ipopt] redistribution of the ipopt binaries

Andreas Waechter awaechter.iems at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:31:19 EST 2012

Hi Amit,

It is possible to distribute Ipopt binaries, as long as you only use
third-party components that have licenses that allow you to do that. For
example, the MUMPS linear solver is public domain, so you can distribute
Ipopt binaries with that one but a code like MA27 or MA57 would require
you to obtain a license.  Some companies (e.g., GAMS and AIMMS) are
distributing Ipopt binaries.  (I have to state here that I'm not an
attorney and that I cannot give you legal advice, and that in the end it
is your responsibility to make sure that you have the right to
distributed any code...)

Here it is worth to keep in mind that the "free" version (MUMPS or
netlib BLAS/LAPACK) might not be the most efficient code and might lead
to inferior performance as if one uses Ipopt with tuned BLAS/LAPACK and
a high-performance linear solver.  However, it is possible to compile
the Ipopt binaries in a way so that the executable can link to some of
the efficient linear solvers at runtime (I think this is happening by
default).  In this way, you can distribute a binary that could still use
additional linear solvers, if the user does some extra work.

One the other hand, if you want, you can contribute your python
interface to the Ipopt distribution (assuming you agree/can agree to
having it distributed under the EPL).  But it might be easier to keep
those things separate.

Hope this helps,

Andreas Waechter

Associate Professor
Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
McCormick School of Engineering
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208
USA