[Ipopt] Constraints Violation

Andreas Waechter awaechter.iems at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:57:15 EST 2012

Hi Sylvain,

This might be an effect of Ipopt's bound_relax_factor option.  It
relaxes the bounds a little bit, in your case probably by 1e-8, which
means that the 1e-9 values you see are within those relaxed bounds.  The
reason for this option is that this makes problems that are degenerate
(or do not satisfy a constraint qualification) a little less ill-posed,
and usually the effect of this perturbation is deemed insignificant
since it is on the order of the termination tolerances anyway.

However, you can switch this off by setting bound_relax_factor to 0.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Andreas Waechter

Associate Professor
Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
McCormick School of Engineering
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208
USA