[Ipopt] UMFPACK & IPOPT

Andreas Waechter awaechter.iems at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:48:51 EST 2012

Indeed, it doesn't look like UMFPACK, as non-symmetric solver, would
have any way to compute the inertia.

There is one variant implemented in Ipopt ("inexact-solver" - it is not
documented, since not as stable and robust as we would like) that can
work with an iterative linear solver, which would also not return the
inertia.  To make this work, there is another mechanism to trigger a
modification of the Hessian matrix to handle nonconvexities.  In
principle, one could use this variant with an direct linear solver as
well, which would then not need to return the inertia.  However, it
would require quite a bit of knowledge of and digging into the Ipopt
code to make that happen.

In any case, as Jonathan suggested, before spending a lot of time
writing any code, it would make sense to do some experiments and test
the general performance.  On additional issue might be that the linear
systems in Ipopt are getting extremely ill-conditioned towards the end
of the optimization, due to the barrier approach.  If one uses a
symmetric indefinite direct linear solver, this doesn't hurt the quality
of the solutions.  However, I suspect that a non-symmetric solver might
have difficulties obtaining sufficiently accurate solutions of the
linear system at the end of the optimization (in case there are active
inequality constraints).  I have no data or experiments to back this up,
but I believe to remember form tests that I did long time ago, that
non-symmetric solvers didn't work in this context.

Andreas Waechter

Associate Professor
Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
McCormick School of Engineering
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208
USA