[Ipopt] IPOpt for l1 optimization?

Thomas Vacek vacek008 at umn.edu
Thu Apr 12 16:22:19 EDT 2012

Both codes seem similar from a user's perspective, and I think either
will work.  For YALL1, it looks like you'll need to reformulate the
problem using the standard trick of separating some variables into
positive and negative parts so that the entire optimization variable
satisfies the nonnegativity condition, perhaps like this:
min ||y||_1 s.t. y = Cx, z = -Ax, z >=0

becomes

min || [y+, y-, x+, x-, z] ||_w,1
s.t.
[  I  -I  C  -C  0
    0  0  -A  A  I]  [y+, y-, x+, x-, z]' = [0, 0]'

where weight w is 1 for indices of y+ and y-, and zero elsewhere.

For SPGL1, you could implement your own gauge function
k(x) = { ||Cx||_1 if Ax <= 0, infinity otherwise. }

The dimension of this problem would be a few times smaller than YALL1,
but perhaps there are other tricks for YALL1.

To keep this list-related, if you do any of these, please compare the
result with IPOPT and let us know...

Tom