[Ipopt] Defining the inverse of the hessian

Andreas Waechter awaechter.iems at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:27:36 EDT 2011

Hi Ajo,

The step is computed from the solution of a linear system that is
considerably more complicated than just the Hessian of the Lagrangian
function (it involves the primal-dual Hessian of the barrier terms as
well as the constraint Jacobians) - see Eq.(11) in the Ipopt
implementation paper in Math Prog.  Having the inverse of the Hessian
would not really help.  In addition, the inverse would usually be much
more dense than the original (hopefully sparse) Hessian.

So, the answer to your questions is: No.

Hope this helps,

Andreas