[Ipopt] problems on OS X 10.7 Lion

Ray Zimmerman rz10 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 18 14:34:27 EDT 2011

Hmmm ... thanks for the tip about checking the BLAS/LAPACK linking with "otool -L". I thought I was getting the same behavior with the netlib BLAS/LAPACK, but now I see that it was still linking to my system BLAS/LAPACK.

otool -L Ipopt/test/hs071_cpp
Ipopt/test/hs071_cpp:
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libLAPACK.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 52.0.0)

Lemme see if I can force it to use the netlib versions ... ok, have to use "--with-blas=BUILD" and "--with-lapack=BUILD" ... ok, I'm back, and the verdict is ...

That was it! Forcing it to use the netlib BLAS allowed me to build a working Ipopt, including a working Matlab MEX file, on Lion.

There must be an issue with the system BLAS on OS X Lion [1]. This is not good.

    Ray

[1] I'm guessing it's related to this https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/6649#issuecomment-1666673