[Ipopt] IPOPT Questions on DOF and feasibility

Uwe Nowak uwe.nowak at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Sat May 21 05:25:31 EDT 2011

Hi!

I am not an expert with IPOPT, but use it for some time.
As far as I know, IPOPT has no possibility to stay feasible, even if
started from a feasible point. In principle the filter allows to become
infeasible, if the objective improves.

In my setting it helped, to set the value theta_max_fact to some smaller
value, e.g. to 10

 From the documentation:
> theta_max_fact                         0 <  (      10000) <  +inf
>    Determines upper bound for constraint violation in the filter.
>      The algorithmic parameter theta_max is determined as theta_max_fact times
>      the maximum of 1 and the constraint violation at initial point.  Any
>      point with a constraint violation larger than theta_max is unacceptable
>      to the filter (see Eqn. (21) in the implementation paper).

Still it sometimes converges to infeasible points, but less often.

Best Regards,
Uwe Nowak