[Ipopt] Cutting back alpha due to evaluation error

Martin Schmidt mschmidt at ifam.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jun 8 06:52:06 EDT 2011

Hi Stefan,

although it seems to be a little bit off topic: Is there a possibility
in GAMS to detect the place of interest in the model?

Best regards,
Martin

Am 08.06.2011 12:04, schrieb Stefan Vigerske:
> Hi,
>
> that the point cannot be evaluated is already recognized in the function
> evaluation code (probably to GAMS AD library in your case), the Ipopt
> interface then just signals to Ipopt that the given point could not be
> evaluated.
> Unfortunately, I do not see a place in the code that would print the
> point before or after calling the evaluation routines.
> If you can modify Ipopt code, then try to activate the
> DBG_PRINT_VECTOR's in
> IpoptCalculatedQuantities::trial_primal_infeasibility().
>
> Stefan
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an NLP for which I often get the message
>>
>> "Warning: Cutting back alpha due to evaluation error".
>>
>> I know that this has something to do with constraints that are not well
>> defined at the current point (like sqrt of negative numbers etc.).
>>
>> Is there any chance to analyze at which constraint in the model the
>> problems occurs? I thought I could find some "inf" or "nan" values in
>> the higher output levels but I didn't find anything.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Martin

- Dipl.-Math. Martin Schmidt		  -
- Institut für Angewandte Mathematik	  -
- AG Algorithmische Optimierung		  -
- Leibniz Universität Hannover		  -
- Welfengarten 1, D-30167 Hannover	  -
- Tel.: 0511-762-3873, Fax: 0511-762-3988 -
- E-Mail: mschmidt at ifam.uni-hannover.de	  -
- Web: www.ifam.uni-hannover.de/~mschmidt -