[Ipopt] Sharpening tolerances

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jan 28 16:39:50 EST 2011

Hi Paul,

Ipopt generates a sequence of iterates that *converges* to the solution,
but it might not end up exactly at the theoretical solution, only close
by.  In your case, 1e-9 seems very close to zero (you can try to reduce
the tolerance "tol" to less than its default 1e-8, but you might run into
numerical issues then, due to the finite precision of he floating point
numbers).

In addition, Ipopt is an interior point method, and this means that will
never generate iterates where the variables are exactly at their bounds
(which they often are at the solution).  (Note the "bound_relax_factor"
and "honor_original_bounds" in this context.)