[Ipopt] Problems in models in C++/ Initialization does not succeed

Dan yanndan at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 08:01:41 EST 2011

Thank you Hans for your answer.
I am running this program under ubuntu 10.04 coding with CodeBlocks 8.02.I tried your idea of using Valgrind. Code::Blocks does not seem to redirect all the printings to the terminal.  Thanks to valgrind, I was able to see an error message I was missing for a long time.:**********************************************************************Exception of type: OPTION_INVALID in file "../../../../Ipopt/src/Common/IpOptionsList.cpp" at line 638: Exception message: Read Option: "jacobian". It is not a valid option. Check the list of available options.

This error seems to come from the piece of code below. I now have an exit error if initialization does not suceed. It is strange this error occurs in this code.
When I coded my example in hs_071 way, the same piece of code does not return any error.***********************************************************************
// Create an instance of the IpoptApplication//// We are using the factory, since this allows us to compile this// example with an Ipopt Windows DLLSmartPtr<IpoptApplication> app = IpoptApplicationFactory();
// Change some options// Note: The following choices are only examples, they might not be//       suitable for your optimization problem.app->Options()->SetNumericValue("tol", 1e-7);app->Options()->SetStringValue("mu_strategy", "adaptive");app->Options()->SetStringValue("output_file", "ipopt.out");app->Options()->SetStringValue( "jacobian_approximation","finite-difference-values" );app->Options()->SetStringValue( "derivative_test","first-order" );
// Intialize the IpoptApplication and process the optionsApplicationReturnStatus status;status = app->Initialize();if (status != Solve_Succeeded) {printf("\n\n*** Error during initialization!\n");exit(-1);}
I do not understand why there is an initialization problem in this case. I run valgrind to see if there was any memory leak. The code previous at this step of initialization  does not seem to have any.
If you have any idea how to solve this initialization bug, I will be glad to know them.
Best Regards, Dan