[Ipopt] Problems in models in C++

Kelly, Jeff (ON0F) jeff.kelly at honeywell.com
Wed Feb 9 07:49:11 EST 2011

Dan;

Concerning the dense Jacobian you are seeing in the derivative checker,
my understanding is that IPOPT is not performing what is known as a
partitioning or graph-coloring problem (TOMS618 - DSM()) on the supplied
sparsity-pattern to only perturb variables in "groups".  Therefore the
it will look dense.

Also, the derivative checker only uses finite-difference derivative
evaluations which if your Jacobian values are 1's and -1's then you may
see more than expected truncation errors in the values.

I personally use the complex-step method to compute the derivative
values and I use the TOMS618 to group my variables so that fewer model
function calls are required.

Jeff