[Ipopt] performance on netlib lp test set

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Oct 29 14:11:15 EDT 2010

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, Ipopt is not specifically written for solving LPs, and in particular,
it does not do a number of heuristics that interior point solvers for LP
do (such as finding a good starting point), and the default options are
geared towards NLPs.  However, as I also wrote in the other posting just
now, some time ago I had added a "meta option" called "mehrotra_algorithm"
which, if set to "yes", will activate some options that make Ipopt work
often better for LPs and QPs.  You might also get some small additional
speedup by selection the options that tell Ipopt that the derivative
matrices are constraint (see that other message that I just sent).