[Ipopt] Failure handling in ipopt

ipopt at praveen.e4ward.com ipopt at praveen.e4ward.com
Sat May 29 01:48:57 EDT 2010

Hi

I would like to ask if there is any way to handle failure of the simulation
code ?

I am doing shape optimization using CFD. If the shape changes in a crazy
way, the CFD will fail. Can we tell ipopt that there was a failure so that
it should reduce the step size and then try again ?

My constraints involve flow and geometry. If ipopt tries to make a large
shape change, then the geometry constraint will be violated. In that case
ipopt should not ask for any flow related constraint but must change its
search step, etc. and try again. I would like to know if it is possible to
get this type of behaviour. If the geometry constraints are violated then
the simulation will likely fail.

What would be desirable is to specify some constraints as absolutely
essential and they should be checked first by ipopt. If they are not
strictly satisfied, then the search step/direction has to be changed to get
feasibilty of those constraints.

Thanks
praveen