[Ipopt] Using Ipopt for "one-shot" optimisation

Jens-Dominik Mueller j.mueller at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 18:19:00 EST 2010

Hello,

we are looking for an opt. package that we can couple to our flow and
adjoint (gradient) solver for CFD. To reduce the heavy computational
cost of the function and gradient evaluations, we are using a one-shot
method that solves the KKT in a block coupled fashion as shown below.

In particular, after an initial convergence to get a rough approximation
of functional and gradient, in the design loop we are continuously
converging the state and adjoint while updating the design/control
variables x. This is nicely done with a callback implementation of the
optimiser, such as the classic Northwestern LBFGS that we currently are
using.

Can we achieve sth. similar with Ipopt?

Many thanks, Jens.

- Initial convergence of flow and adjoint, say 1-2 O of magnitude
- evaluate functional and gradient

- design loop:
   call optimiser
   if ( optimiser says new_x )
     apply new_x to grid
     converge flow, adj some more
     evaluate functional and gradient
   else ( optimiser says done )
     done
   else ...
    ..
   end if

   Dr. Jens-Dominik Müller
   School of Engineering and Materials Science
   Mile End Road
   Queen Mary, University of London
   London, E1 4NS

   tel: (+44) (0) 20 7882 5421, fax: (+44) (0) 20 8983 1007