[Ipopt] Why the optimization result does not follow my constraints?

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Feb 2 11:49:38 EST 2010

Hi James,

Ipopt implements an optimization algorithm of the "infeasible" kind, i.e.,
intermediate step might not satisfy the constraints.  It is only trying to
achieve feasibility and optimality at the end.  The only thing Ipopt is
doing is to keep all variables within their bounds (note: read about the
option bound_relax_factor).  Also, if you have only linear constraints and
they are satisfied at some point, they will stay satisfied for the rest
of the optimization (unless the restoration phase is entered, or there
are numerical issues).

There are some optimization algorithms that try to keep all constraints
satisfied at all times.  One of them is the FSQP algorithm developed by
Andre Tits and collaborators.  You will find information about this by
googling.  In addition, I think the KNITRO code has a "feasible" option,
but you might need to check with the KNITRO documentation.

Hope this helps,

Andreas