[Ipopt] Hessian Computation

Teeter, Chuck cteeter at Suncor.com
Thu Apr 22 10:58:30 EDT 2010

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, AIMMS normally provides first and
second derivatives to a solver, except in the special case where
external functions are utilized to build some of the constraints.  In
this special case, AIMMS provides no second derivatives for ANY
constraint functions, whether they are native AIMMS constraints or not
(ie, external constraints).  This is why I think my observed results are
rather extraordinary - no Hessian computations are performed at all, and
great results are still obtained.

I have requested the ability to provide second derivatives for external
constraint functions from Paragon Decision Technology.  If they are
willing to implement this functionality, AIMMS will then be able to pass
FULL Hessian information back to Ipopt.  I was fairly certain that the
computational results (time required for solution and robustness of
solution) would be improved further with the addition of Hessian
information, but had no real way to quantify this expectation.

The reason that more time is require per iteration when using the LBFGS
Hessian approximation is that when I specify "Exact" for Hessian
computation, no time at all is required in the AIMMS modeling
environment, since no Hessian is computed for the special case described
above.  So, even though LBFGS Hessian approximation may not take a lot
of time, it still requires more time than no computation at all.

I also wanted to share my observation that Ipopt seems to handle
discontinuous derivatives amazingly well.  I'm not sure why this is so,
but I can say that for my work at least, Ipopt is the fastest, most
reliable nonlinear solver I have ever used - commercial or otherwise.  I
am using it exclusively for refinery planning models, which up until now
have been solved exclusively with SLP (or distributed recursion).
Anyway, I hope to write a success story in the near future!