[Ipopt] use of IPOPT for humanoid robots

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Apr 20 11:59:09 EDT 2010

Hi Sebastian,

Please send emails regarding Ipopt to the maling list (I'm forwarding my
reply to there).  Unfortunately, my time for Ipopt support right now is
rather limited, and others might be able to answer sooner than me.

In the Ipopt implementation it is currently not possible to add
constraints during the solution process.  And Ipopt the only constraints
Ipopt is guaranteed to always satisfy are bound constraints (but note the
bound_relax option!).  Sometimes, what people do to model constraints
where values cannot be evaluated for certain numbers is to add auxilliary
constraints, e.g., if you have sqrt(x-y) >= z, you can write

sqrt (s) >= z
s = x-y
s >= 0 (or >= 1e-10)

Not sure if that helps....

PS: I'm haooy to hear you have been using Ipopt for 4 year modeling
humanoid robots.  If you have a few minutes spare, it would be great if
you could add a paragraph on the Success Stories wiki page for Ipopt:

https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/wiki/SuccessStories

Thanks :-)