[Ipopt] How can I use Ipopt without any fortran compiler in Unix System?

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 7 04:43:40 EDT 2010

Hi,

if you can create working blas, lapack, and HSL libraries for you
system, then you can try the configure options --with-blas,
--with-lapack, and --with-hsl to tell Ipopt which flags to use to link
to these libraries. However, there may be a problem that configure also
needs to find out which fortran naming scheme is used. You probably also
need to add defines for F77_FUNC and F77_FUNC_ to the ADD_CFLAGS and
ADD_CXXFLAGS options in configure. It may be a bit tricky to figure that
out. Maybe just check how these macros would be defined in an Ipopt
build on a Linux system and adapt them for your alpha system.
Anyway, there should not be any need to change configure or makefiles.

Another way, can you install f77 (or g77) instead of gfortran on Alpha,
and then use F77=f77? That should behave like a fortran compiler, but is
actually doing f2c and gcc.

Stefan

lqc234 wrote:
> Hi everyone, hi andreasw
> I have tried to use the ipopt in windows system in vs2005 environment successfully. However my application have been based on the alpha system, I must install the gcc in order to use the free fortran compiler gfortran. It is a very difficulty thing to install the gcc on the alphaev56-dec-osf4.0f  environment. So I have a question,is there some other way to use the ipopt without using any fortran compiler in unix system just like in the windows system? For example, I may use the libf2c to translate the fortran files in the third parties of  blas,hsl,lapack and so on to .c files, then I can use the translated .c files in the alphaev56-dec-osf4.0f environment to compile the ipopt.   If this does work,  I think there is another difficulty job that I should  rewrite the configure and make files which provided by the author. I am not familiar with writint those files, it is too complicated for me to wirte.
>  Anyone has come up against the question? Thank you for any suggestion! Thanks very much in advance!
> Regards
> LiuFuXing

Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics
http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan