[Ipopt] about filter

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue May 26 10:44:28 EDT 2009

Hi RT,

> What is maximum number of entries in filter (a common value)? Is essentially
> action of filter function of maximum number of entries?

There is no maximal number of filter entries in the Ipopt implementation.
It uses a std::list, which can get as long as it needs to.

You also sent a message directly to me - in the future, please send those
questions to the Ipopt mailing list, since others might want to know about
the answer as well, and someone else might also be able to answer faster
than me (I also have a day job, that sometimes limits the amount of time I
have for answering messages here... :-) ).

> Could you please give your opinion
>
> What is your idea about multi-dimensional filters?
>
> If we have different class of constraint set (e.g. some related to
> PDE solution, some on PDE coefficient, etc.), is it better to use
> multi-dim filter (add a dim for each set)?

In my mind, one of the advantages of a filter is that it might accept
trial points more easily during the line search than a penalty methods
does.  But in some circumstances, the filter can actually be more
restricting, and sometimes (e.g., when the steps computed are not always
very good, for example, when the problem is too nonlinear or one uses a
quasi-Newton approximation) being too liberal in terms of accepting trial
points can lead the optimizer to a bad area.

As you might know, some work has been done on looking at
higher-dimensional filter methods, e.g.,:

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=SJOPE8000016000002000341000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

Here, one has one filter entry for not just all constraints combined, but
for subsets of constraints separately, as you suggest.  For unconstraint
optimization (here using the gradient entries as the filter components,
not constraints), they report encouraging results.

I'm not sure how much you would gain in the Ipopt context.  It might make
sense if you observe that many of the trial steps are rejected in the line
search.  But then you might want to also understand why that is...

Instead of having more than one filter component for the constraints, you
might also just want to reset the filter more often (see the
filter_reset_trigger and max_filter_resets options).  But it probably
won't help much.

Anyway, a higher-dimensional filter is not implemented in Ipopt, and it
would not be a trivial change (beside writing the code for having a higher
dimensional filter, you would also have to define an interface for the
user to specify the subset of constraints that are to be taken together).
But Ipopt is open source software, so you can go ahead an change it, and
if it works great and is a good implementation, and you can contributed to
an open source project (see
http://www.coin-or.org/contributions.html#contributions), we could in the
end add this to the Ipopt distribution... :-)