[Ipopt] large-scale quadratic optimization without constraints

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Mar 24 10:33:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

If you don't provide the Hessian for a nonlinear problem, you will have to
choose the quasi-Newton approximation option

hessian_approximation limited-memory

Maybe you are already doing this...?  What options are you setting?

You say that you are solving a QP, so I assume that you already have the
Hessian matrix somewhere.  Why do you not provide it to Ipopt?
Convergence would probably quite a bit faster, unless the Hessian is
dense.

The error you describe looks like there is some wrong information provided
to Ipopt (e.g., if NaN ends up in Hessian entries and you didn't choose a
Hessian approximation).  Did you run your code through a memory checker
(like valgrind)?

Andreas