[Ipopt] Can IPOPT do this

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Jun 10 20:59:57 EDT 2009

Hi Ned,

I'm copying your email to the Ipopt mailing list - in general, it might be
a good idea to send questions like this one there, since other people
might have better ideas then me...

No, Ipopt cannot deal with the situation you describe, it requires
functions that are at least once continuously differentiable.  Otherwise,
it might get stuck.

You can look at methods for non-smooth optimization, or you can maybe
model your problem as an MINLP.  If the resulting problem formulation is
convex (unlikely, since your have equality constraints, unless you can
relax them), you can use method like Bonmin or FilMINT, otherwise there
are a number of global optimization codes, such as BARON, Lago, or
Couenne.  (Bonmin, Couenne, and Lago are available on COIN.)