[Ipopt] ipopt in structural optimization

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Jun 10 20:16:57 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

>>>     2) We “warmstart” the optimization each iteration and
>>>     leave the optimization to calculate the new primary
>>>     solution. Thus we have changed the MMA so that we call it
>>>     with objective function, constraints and sensitivities of
>>>     the actual iteration plus some saved information from
>>>     former iterations, e.g. the last asymptotes and other
>>>     values. Could this be easily done with Ipopt ?

> Has anyone a comment on the “warmstart” issue?

I don't quite understand what you mean by this.  If you use Ipopt, it
should usually be in control of choosing the primal variables, and the
application code computes the values and derivatives of the functions in
the optimization problem formulation.

There is an option to warmstart Ipopt (see the documentation), where you
can not only give a primal starting point, but also values for all
multipliers.  However, the formulation that Ipopt uses internally is
somewhat different from what is exposed to the user, and some translation
happens when the starting point is taken, or the final iterate is
returned.  Also, there are a number of options that play a crucial role
when trying to use Ipopt in a warmstart setting, such as

mu_init
bound_push
bound_frac

and possibly others.  And this does not restore exactly the state that
Ipopt was when it most recently returned.  Finally, as an interior point
method, Ipopt is not as good as making use of a very good starting point
as an active set method typically is.

By the way, Ipopt's runtime performance per iteration will critically
depend on the linear solver you pick, and whether you use an efficient
BLAS library.  I would suggest to try Pardiso for such large problems,
together with some good BLAS.

Sorry for the late reply, and maybe this helps a little bit...

Andreas