[Ipopt] Strange problem in building 3.5.4

Robinson, Melvin D melvin.robinson at mavs.uta.edu
Thu Jan 29 20:51:55 EST 2009

I'm having this strange problem building version 3.5.4 and was wondering if someone could impart some sage wisdom.

Here are the results of doing a configure, no special flags--even though I know that I will need them later because the target system is Mac OS X 10.5.

.
.
.
checking whether finite is declared... yes
checking whether va_copy is declared... yes
checking whether drand48 is declared... yes
checking whether rand is declared... yes
checking whether srand is declared... yes
checking whether -lblas has BLAS... no
configure: error: cannot find BLAS
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for Ipopt
Justin:Ipopt-3.5.4 melrobin$
Now I have BLAS, actually a libblas.a which is symbolically linked to ATLAS:
Justin:Ipopt-3.5.4 melrobin$ ls -l /usr/lib/libblas.a
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  19 Oct 23 21:44 /usr/lib/libblas.a -> /usr/lib/libatlas.a
Justin:Ipopt-3.5.4 melrobin$ ls -l /usr/lib/libatlas.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  10314920 Jun 23  2008 /usr/lib/libatlas.a

Shouldn't this be OK?  Everything worked in the previous version of Ipopt.  I do not recall having to compile the obtain and compile the BLAS and LAPACK that is included in order to get things working.  Is my memory failing me or do you have any ideas?