[Ipopt] Issues with building IPOPT on MSYS

John Pye john.pye at anu.edu.au
Fri Dec 18 00:08:51 EST 2009

Hi all

Two problems with building IPOPT on MinGW/MSYS.

The first one is in the building of MUMPS using gfortran. I have got my
gfortran installed in c:/Program Files/gfortran (installed from
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries), and the space in that
pathname is not being correctly handled by the build scripts.

I tried to work around it using

 ./configure --prefix=/home/john/Ipopt-inst
LDFLAGS="-L/c/PROGRA~1/gfortran/lib"

but it didn't work. I got this output:

checking how to get verbose linking output from gfortran... -v
checking for Fortran libraries of gfortran...
-Lc:/PROGRA~1/gfortran/lib -Lc:/program -L/mingw/lib -lgfortranbegin
-lgfortran -lmingw32 -lmoldname -lmingwex -lmsvcrt -luser32 -lkernel32
-ladvapi32 -lshell32
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... unknown
configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
See `config.log' for more details.
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for ThirdParty/Mumps

As you can see, something weird is happening with the "-Lc:/program" in
the above output... not a directory that actually exists, but a chopped
version of c:/Program Files/ instead.

The second problem is that there's a bug in the "get.Mumps" script. It
should contain "wc -l" on line 10, instead of "wc -w". This fixes
behaviour on my system, which uses the GnuWin32 version of wget,
installed in c:/Program Files/GnuWin32/bin. Again, this is an issue that
arises from having spaces in the pathname.

Cheers
JP