[Ipopt] Can i use IPOPT without the input of Jacobian Matrix and the Hessian of the Lagrangian?

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Wed Dec 16 08:54:02 EST 2009

Uwe Nowak wrote:
> Also I am not member of the IPOPT-Team:
>
> You do not need the Hessian if you use quasi-newtown approximation of
> second derivatives (LBFGS). Set the option
> hessian_approximation=limited-memory
>
> However you need the Jacobian.
> If you have a set of constraints and are not sure which constraints are
> used, you could define the Jacobian structure as being all possible
> entries of any element.
>
> If you do not have the Jacobian functions you either have to do finite
> difference approximation (which might lead to slow evaluation and
> convergence problems) or automatic differentiation tool (I have heard
> about ADOL-C but never used it).
>
> Best Regards,
> Uwe

You could use CppAD to compute the derivatives. There is and example
with documentation for how you could do this at
http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/ipopt_cppad_nlp.xml

While this routine may seem complicated, this is because it allows you
to convey a lot of information to the routine that is evaluating the
derivatives. I suggest that you begin with the "simple representation", see
http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/ipopt_get_started.cpp.xml