[Ipopt] Faster optimization

Rishi Amrit rishiamrit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:50:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Gerry Chu <gerrychu at cs.washington.edu>wrote:

> Solver: I'm using MUMPS/METIS. When I run Ipopt, it suggests using
> another solver for speed. I tried paradiso, but that when I try to
>
> ../configure \
> --with-pardiso="/usr/local/lib/libpardiso_GNU43_IA32_P.so"    \
> --with-blas="/usr/lib/sse2/atlas/libblas.so.3gf"     \
> --with-lapack="/usr/lib/sse2/atlas/liblapack.so.3gf"
>
> I get "error: Pardiso library /usr/local/lib/libpardiso_GNU43_IA32_P.so
> does not seem to work", even though the file exists.

I've had problems with this too. Are you using a 32 bit operating system
with gcc 4.3 ?

> Multiprocessing: I have a quad-core Intel core processor, and ipopt uses
> one processor to 100% and none of the others. Can it use other
> processors too?

Pardiso has an option to use multithreading. You can set the number of
processors to 4 by setting the enviroment variable

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=4

Then when ipopt calls pardiso, it uses all your 4 processors. But yes, first
you need to build ipopt with pardiso sucessfully.

Rishi