[Ipopt] Testing IPOPT on a black block problem

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Apr 13 12:43:11 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Ipopt needs at least first derivatives, second derivatives can be
approximated.  One could approximate first derivatives also by
finite-differences, but this is usually a rather computationally expensive
option.  However, the Ipopt code has a "hidden" option, called

jacobian_approximation finite-difference-values

that will make Ipopt do a very simple and inefficient approximation of the
constraint derivatives (but the user still has to provide a sparsity
structure).  No code like that has been written for a finite difference
approximation of the objective function gradient.

But maybe what you are looking for is "derivative free" optimization.
There are different options and codes, one is the "DFO" code on COIN:

https://projects.coin-or.org/Dfo

Note that those algorithms cannot handle problems with many variables.

Hope this helps,

Andreas