[Ipopt] improving IPOPT speed with Algorithmic DifferentiationTheory

Sebastian Walter walter at mathematik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 18 09:50:27 EDT 2008

Hey Brad!
Nice to see you here. Remember me? We talked at the AD conference in Bonn ;)

An interface doesn't help us here though. That has two reasons:

1) We also use other optimizers (SNOPT,...)

2) Our objective function depends on the solution of a DAE:

    min_q   Phi( x(T,q), x_q(T,q)),

 s.t.       x(T,q) solves
            dx/dt = f(t,x,q)
              x   = g(t,x,q)

where
Phi is the objective function
x(T,q) the solution of the DAE at time T
x_q(T,q) is short notation for dx/dq(T,q)
q is a control variable
f is the differential rhs of the DAE
g is the algebraic rhs of the DAE

At the moment we use forward tangent propagation like this:

1)  differentiate the rhs of the DAE f and g with ADIFOR
2) then forward taylor propagation through an DAE integrator (DAESOL II)
3) then forward taylor propagation of Phi by hand

So it's not that straightforward to use an AD tool since there is also
lots of legacy fortran code in there.