[Ipopt] quadratic programming

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Sep 15 09:40:22 EDT 2008

Hi Anand,

In general, Ipopt can solve quadratic optimization problems.

However, if in your case H is really the identity matrix, you can solve
this problem by hand.  In this particular case, the problem is separable,
i.e., it is something like

min sum_i x_i^2 + f_i*x_i
s.t.      lb_i <= x_i <= ub_i   (for all i)

Since one x_i variable "does not influence any other", you can simply
write a number of one-dimensional problems

min   x_i^2 + f_i*x_i
s..t  lb_i <= x_i <= ub_i

and solve them analytically one after the other.

Hope this helps,

Andreas