[Ipopt] lapack

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Sun Jun 1 13:51:47 EDT 2008

Hi Matt,

Ipopt is using Coin's ThirdParty/Lapack "project" to compile Lapack files
if they are not already found on the system or a user doesn't provide an
LAPACK library.

This ThirsParty/Lapack project compiles only a small subset of the Lapack
routines, namely those that are required by COIN projects (at this point,
Ipopt and Clp/CoinUtils).  So, you will have to compile your own Lapack if
you want to use more than what COIN already has included.

As for the missing symbols errors in xerbla.o, those will be resolved if
you include the gfortran runtime library, -lgfortran (or so).

If you anticipate to deal with relatively large dense matrices and a lot
of your running time goes there, you would be better off anyway to use an
optimized BLAS library.  I have used Atlas (see
http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/), and there is an option to compile it
so that also all Lapack routines (and not just the ones implemented in
Atlas) are avaiable.

Hope this helps,

Andreas