[Coin-ipopt] compiling on VS with PARDISO

Liliya Kharevych lilyukma at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 20:16:34 EST 2008

> I'm not sure what you mean by not symmetric.  The matrix that is
> factorized in Ipopt is always symmetric; it is the augmented system
 matrix
> and is assembled by Ipopt, consisting of the constraint Jacobian and
> Hessian of the Jacobian, plus a few other things.

I guess I just don't understand exactly how IPOPT works. My problem has n variables and n constraints (no minimization),
so my Jacobian of the constraints is not symmetric, and I use limited memory hessian approximation.
But I can see now in the paper that you pointed to, that everything get assembled into larger symmetric matrix.

Thank you for the information,
Lily

----------------------------
> Or is there any other solver which Ipopt supports that that might be
> worth trying and could greatly improve performance?

You have the choice of a few options with respect to the linear solve,
namely

MA27
MA57
MUMPS
PARDISO
WSMP

I have not done extensive tesing of the relative performance of the
different solvers.  When we developed the interface between Pardiso and

Ipopt, we compared the performance with MA27 and MA57; you find the
comparison in our paper

http://www.research.ibm.com/people/a/andreasw/papers/rc23824.pdf

For very large problems (e.g., more than 100,000 variables) coming from

the discretization of PDE, Pardiso clearly seemed to be the fastest
 solver
with a considerable lead.  However, for the CUTE test set, which has
 much
smaller problems, MA27 seems to be the fastest, even faster than its
successor MA57.

When you say that your problem has a few thousand variables, it is not
necessarily clear if you would get a bit performance boost from using
Pardiso compared to MA27.  But this depends on the specifics of your
problem, and don't take my word for it.

MA27 might be the best option for you, but if you want to use is for
commercial purposes or want to want give away any program that contains

MA27 to someone else, you probably need to buy a license for MA27 (see
 the
MA27 license for details).

Another option you have is to use the MUMPS solver.  Again, I only have
 my
own limited experience with it, and from there it seems that MUMPS is
 not
as fast as MA27 for small or medium-sized problems.  But MUMPS is
 public
domain code, i.e., you can use it for any purpose without charge.
  Other
Ipopt users have compiled Ipopt with MUMPS with the developer studio
 (see
some older mailing list postings).

I hope this helps,

Andreas