[Coin-ipopt] "strange" behavior with Ipopt

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Feb 4 14:25:55 EST 2008

Hi,

Just a belated addition to Stefan's explanation:

Due to rounding error, it often matters in which order floating point
operations are done.  Usually, the difference might only be on the order
of machine precision, over several iterations they might accumulate.  And
then a test like "<=" might be true in one case but not the other, and
from then on the algorithm might take truely different paths.

I even observed strongly different behavior between the code when it was
compiled in debug or optimized mode, or when I run it on a different
operation system.  This is an annoying feature that can make debugging to
a nightmare...

Andreas