[Ipopt] Too few degrees of freedom

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 18 09:03:46 EDT 2008

Hi,

> I am using the MUMPS solver with IpOpt.  My log file shows the following message:
>
> Too few degrees of freedom (n_x = 0, n_c = 1).
>   Trying fixed_variable_treatment = RELAX_BOUNDS
>
> What exactly does this mean?

Probably the problem that you have put into Ipopt has all variables
fixed? Internally, Ipopt substitutes all fixed variables, so that in
your case it ends up with n_x = 0 variables.
But since there seem to be n_c = 1 constraints, it does not see "enough
degrees of freedom" to satisfy this constraint.
fixed_variable_treatment = RELAX_BOUNDS then means probably that Ipopt
internally relaxes the bounds on the fixed variables a bit so that they
can vary in a small interval.

Please note that I'm not sure about this, it's just my guess. :-)

Best,

Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics
http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan