[Ipopt] Jipopt Java interface

Rafael de Pelegrini Soares rafael at vrtech.com.br
Tue Apr 22 22:23:33 EDT 2008

Dear Carl/Edson/all,

The Java interface was originally written based on the C interface, at
that time SmartPtr's could not be used.

When the code was adapted to use the C++ interface (TNLP class) the
no-SmartPrt nature was inherited. Of course the SmartPtr way could be used
but it would be a little tricky (if not useless) because when calling C/C++ from Java the scope goes
in and out in every function call (objective function, residuals, gradients, etc).

The point is, do the Ipopt infrastructure stores TNLP's instances internally in SmartPtrs?
I guess not (this can be seen in example file hs071_main.cpp), hence the current Java
interface implementation is fine.

ASAP I'll check out the latest version from repository and will run it under valgring just
to be sure about any memory invasions/leaks.

Regards.