[Coin-ipopt] Constraint Qualifications and IPOPT

Peter Carbonetto pcarbo at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 2 01:04:19 EDT 2007

Greetings IPOPT folks,

    I have a rather technical (and long-winded!) question regarding
constraint qualifications and IPOPT. I would welcome any comments or
thoughts from people that have experience or expertise on the matter.

    I'm working on a problem which I've framed as a constrained, nonlinear
optimization problem. Naturally, I'm using IPOPT to solve it.

    My problem instances are generated randomly, and in some instances
IPOPT either fails to converge to a solution, or has a great deal of
difficulty doing so. I hypothesize that the reason IPOPT is having
difficulty is that on these occasions the problem does not satisfy the
linear independence constraint qualifications (LICQ), nor the
Mangasarian-Fromovitz constraint qualifications (MFCQ). The only
constraints other than bound constraints are nonlinear equality
constraints. The randomly-generated problem instances are too large to
verify by hand. However, I've come up with a very small example which
could conceivably arise, in which the rows of the Jacobian are linearly
dependent for every feasible point. A subblock of the Jacobian looks
something like this:

    |  a/n  -b/n   c/m  -d/m  |
    | -a/n   b/n  -c/m   d/m  |
    |   0     0     0     0   |
    |   0     0     0     0   |

where a, b, c, d, n and m are all positive numbers. It is plain to see
that the first row is always a multiple of the second row, regardless of
what values one chooses.

    For this particular example, IPOPT has rather erratic behaviour:
sometimes it converges quickly to the solution, sometimes it converges
very very slowly, and occasionally it gives up.

    I decided to investigate the behaviour of IPOPT in the absence of LICQ
a little further, and see how it does on some other small optimization
problems that are known not to satisfy standard constraint qualifications.
I examined 5 optimization problems: two from Forsgren, Gill and Wright
[1], two from Izmailov and Solodov [2], and exercise 12.13 from the book
of Nocedal and Wright (2nd edition). IPOPT failed---or converged with much
difficulty---for 2 of the 5 problems. In both failures, neither LICQ nor
MFCQ were satisfied at the solution.

    Now, here is my question: is there any hope that IPOPT could work with
strategies for dealing with problems without constraint qualifications? Do
any of you know whether the strategies of Izmailov & Solodov [2], or
Wright [3] feasible and realistic to implement for large optimization
problems? Has anyone had success using IPOPT to solve problems that did
not satisfy LICQ? Or should I give up such hopes, and instead peruse the
literature for ideas on how to modify my undesirable equality constraints?

    Any suggestions would be welcome.

Peter Carbonetto
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science