[Coin-ipopt] User option not being set

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Sun May 27 17:25:02 EDT 2007

Hi Rodrigo,

> I'm not sure what this means but when I set required_infeasibility_reduction
> to 0.1 in ampl either by ipopt.opt file or with ipopt_options I keep
> getting:
>
>                                    Name   Value                used
>                      print_user_options = yes                   yes
>        required_infeasibility_reduction = 0.1                    no
>
> How come the option is not being used? Or does this message mean something
> else??

The meaning of required_infeasibility_reduction is as follows:

Say, the restoration phase is activated at an iterate x_k.  Then the
restoration phase will continue until it finds a point that is acceptable
to the filter as it was in this iteration (augmented by the point x_k) AND
when the infeasibility at the new point is less than
required_infeasibility_reduction times the infeasibility at x_k.  With
your setting, you essentially tell Ipopt that is had to continue with the
restoration phase until the infeasibility is reduced by at least 90%
compared to where it is started.

As for the output you looked at above:  Even though it might seem like
that, the option required_infeasibility_reduction IS used.  The reason you
don't see that in the output has to do with the particular way the options
are processed for the restoration phase (which is a recursive invokation
of Ipopt).

I hope this helps,