[Coin-ipopt] A simple question

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Sat May 19 13:55:18 EDT 2007

Hi Gaoqiang,

> Dear Sir, I just want to know if the IPOPT contains the
> Predictor-corrector Primal-dual interior point method , Can you tell me
> ?  Thanke you!  Gaoqiang

The algorithm implemented in Ipopt is a primal-dual interior point method.

By default, it follows the "monotone Fiacco-McCormick" barrier
update strategy, but we have implemented also "adaptive" strategies.  In
addition, we also have an option that can be used to compute and use
corrector steps (corrector_type='affine').  When you spectify

mu_strategy adaptive
mu_oracle probing
corrector_type affine

you are essentially running Ipopt in a safeguarded version of Mehrotra's
predictor-corrector method.  Some details for the adaptive strategy can be
found in this paper:

Well, hm, I wanted to put a link here to something on my home page - but
my home page seems be have disappeared....(?)  :-/

Anyway, at http://www.optimization-online.org/DB_HTML/2005/03/1089.html
you can find a somewhat older version of the paper.

By the default, Ipopt does not use a "predictor-corrector" framework.

I hope this helps,