[Coin-ipopt] Feasible iterations only

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Thu May 3 09:44:25 EDT 2007

Hi Juan,

> I need to have Ipopt produce only feasible iterations. This is because I
> need to write a callback routine that at every iteration checks for a
> condition and if the condition is true, it must terminate the
> optimization. I need to guarantee that at any time I terminate the
> optimization I end up with a feasible point. The problem is convex.
>
> I am not sure which options I need to set to accomplish this. Any help
> would be appreciated.

At this point, there is no option for Ipopt that forces it to keep only
feasible iterates.  For convex problems, I think this is possible in
principle, along the lines as it is done in the KNITRO code; see the paper

R. H. Byrd, J. Nocedal, and R. A. Waltz, "Feasible Interior Methods Using
Slacks for Nonlinear Optimization", Computational Optimization and
Applications, 26(1):35-61, 2003.

http://www.ece.northwestern.edu/%7Erwaltz/articles/feasible.pdf

However, it would take some time to implement this in Ipopt, and there are
currently no plans to do that.  (Of course, contributions to the Ipopt
project are always welcome!)