[Coin-ipopt] ensuring decrease of objective

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed May 2 18:22:57 EDT 2007

Hi James

What Graham describes is the intended way to give users the opportunity to
stop the algorithm prematurely, or to collect some intermediate
information.  So, if that is what you are interested in doing, that's the
way to go.

But I'm not sure I understand you original question:  When you describe
that the objective function increases at the end of the optimization, does
that happen because you interrupt the optimization early?  (I assume here
that you have no constraints except for bound constraints for the
variables...)  In that case you might want to try if the optimization is
better when you either use a small initial value of the barrier parameter

mu_init 1e-4   [or some other small value]

or if you use the automatic choice of the barrier parameter

mu_strategy adaptive