[Coin-ipopt] Re: Questions about IPOPT in a commercial application

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Jul 31 13:49:18 EDT 2007

Dear Jean-Philippe,

I'm copying my reply to the Ipopt mailing list.

Of course, I'm very happy to hear that you find Ipopt useful and consider
to use it in a commercial application.

Currently, the only linear solver that works with Ipopt and has a "free"
license is MUMPS, which is public domain, see
http://graal.ens-lyon.fr/MUMPS/avail.html

In my own limited experience, it seems that MUMPS does not perform as fast
in Ipopt as MA27 on small to medium-sized problems, but has roughly the
same robustness.

As for Pardiso, yes, the version of Pardiso currently in the MKL doesn't
have some features that are required for the use in Ipopt.  You might be
able to link and run the code, but if you are solving non-convex problems
with Ipopt, the non-convexity might not be handled well.  As far as I
know, future versions of the MKL will include a version of Pardiso that
works with Ipopt.

Having written all this, please note that I'm not a legal expert, so
please check the MUMPS license carefully yourself.  Also, if you want to
know more about Pardiso and which version will be in the MKL, please
contact the Pardiso developer Olaf Schenk.

I hope this helps,

Andreas