[Coin-ipopt] Results from derivative test

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Dec 21 10:30:38 EST 2007

Hi Fabian,

> I like the derivative test feature of IPOPT :) and think about
> visualizing the
> relative error. Is there a way, e.g. by deriving from IPOPT to add such a
> feature?
>
> I give IPOPT it's option by my own configuration file, hence it is not
> possible to generate and parse the output file.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by visualizing the relative error.
Do you mean generating some sort of graphic which helps you to find which
particular partial derivatives have how much error?

In either case, the code for the derivative checker is in

Ipopt/src/Interfaces/IpTNLPAdapter.cpp

in the method

TNLPAdapter::CheckDerivatives

We could set things up so that another method is called when a new Ipopt
option would be set, and of course it would be nice to include such a new
method in the Ipopt distribution.

Does that answer your question?

Cheers

Andreas