[Coin-ipopt] Re: [Coin-discuss] ipopt matlab interface keepalive

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Aug 6 23:07:27 EDT 2007

Hi Leo,

> Quick Q: does the ipopt matlab interface keep ipopt loaded, stateful,
> in between function calls? I'd like to repeatedly reoptimize within a
> neighborhood, so this feature might increase performance
> significantly, when compared to reloading the library every time.

This is more a question for the Ipopt mailing list than coin-discuss...

I myself don't really know the answer, but this is what I suspect:  Once
you used the Ipopt mex interface, the DLL or shared object is loaded.
It is unloaded, once you type 'clear' or 'clear ipopt' or so...(?).

Ipopt has only relatively limited "hot start" support (it's an interior
point method after all, which is hard to hot- or warm-start), so there is
not really too much of a "state" once the optimizer is left... and I don't
know how much the mex interface supports the "warm_start_same_structure"
option.

Peter, do you know?  (Or anyone else?)

Thanks

Andreas