[Coin-ipopt] Convergence and BFGS Hessian computation

Sylvain Miossec sylvain.miossec at aist.go.jp
Thu Oct 26 21:44:31 EDT 2006

Hi Andreas, Hi Carl,

I finally succeeded to solve my convergence problems.

I implemented an automatic scaling which consists in minimizing the
euclidean distance between the gradient coefficients and values of one.
In other words I minimize the error between gradient coefficients and
ones. By taking the log of scaled gradient values, I obtained a
quadratic problem without constraints, which is solved easily. But with
the obtained scaling parameters, the convergence was not as fast as the
one with a hand tune scaling. And I still couldn't obtain proper
convergence.

The thing is I implemented a BFGS approximation of the Hessian. The
hessian approximation is better. And for my problem size, it is not
costly to compute. Therefore I obtain faster convergence than with
L-BFGS. And it appears that I obtain proper convergence, getting all the
tolerances as small as desired.
You can look at the attached file and compare with the previous runs I
posted earlier.
I gave the following tolerances :
-tol: 1e-3
-acceptable_tol:  1e-1
-constr_viol_tol:  1e-6
-acceptable_constr_viol_tol:  1e-4
-dual_inf_tol: 1e-4
-acceptable_dual_inf_tol: 1e-2
-compl_inf_tol: 1e-5
-acceptable_compl_inf_tol: 1e-3

For the practical implementation, I programmed the BFGS computation in
the Eval_h function. And I stored the gradients of objective and
constraints computed in Eval_jac_f and Eval_jacg in order to use them in
the Eval_h function. It is not clean, but it worked.

Do you think it is because I have a special problem that I couldn't get
proper convergence with limited memory BFGS ? Or is there another reason ?

Sylvain