[Coin-ipopt] Linear constraints

Peter Carbonetto pcarbo at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 30 21:21:53 EST 2006

I apologize for deluging this mailing list with another question, but as
far as I can see this issue has not been raised in the mailing list
archives nor in the Mathematical Programming journal paper.

It so happens that Philip Gill gave a talk at my university this
afternoon, and he has inspired this post. Solving nonlinear problems with
linear inequality constraints is generally easier than solving problems
with nonlinear inequality constraints. My question is simply: Does IPOPT
handle linear constraints in a special way? (I couldn't find the answer in
the documentation.) Is there a way to notify IPOPT that the functions g(x)
are linear? Or does experience suggest that this is unnecessary?

Peter Carbonetto
PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science
University of British Columbia