[Coin-ipopt] Re: linking IPOPT in VC++ 6.0

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Mar 21 12:14:32 EST 2006

Hallo Michael,

I'm copying your message to the mailing list, in case someone else reading
this has an idea...

> Unfortunately we ran into some troubles, when we tried to install IPOPT along
> with Diffpack.
> The reason is that Diffpack is running under Windows using the Microsoft VC++
> 6.0
> compiler.
>
> As in the ipopt tarball there are just project files for VisualStudio.net we
> tried to
> - create the projects in our Visual Studio, compile & link
> - create the ipopt library in cygwin (which worked of course) and to link
> against this library in VS
> but failed in both cases, due to compilation problems in some template
> classes.

If you try to hook up Ipopt using the C interface (not the C++ interface)
it might be easier.  As far as I know, there are ways to build
Windows-compatible DLLs in Cygwin (with dlltool or so?) and you cold
export the C intreface symbols, but I have to admid that I don't know yet
how to do that.  Using the C interface, you wouldn't have to deal with
templates etc.

> So could you please tell me if there is a chance to compile and link IPOPT
> using MSVC++ 6.0?
> Or do you think the problems are caused by incompatibilities of C# and C++?

I have no experience with C#, and our code is not written in C#, it is
standard C++.  However, I have never tried to build Ipopt with MSVC++ 6.0
yet.  If your other code is in C#, again, maybe using the C interface
makes it easier to link with Ipopt.  If that doesn't help, could you
please send some more details (to the mailing list) on what is going
wrong?

Schoene Gruesse nach Erlangen,